Another link to our past.
In 1915, Father Kelleher was appointed the parish priest for the Rosewood area. That same year tenders for the construction of a presbytery to be used as a residence for Father Kelleher. The tender submitted by G. Rodgers of Toowong for £1140 was accepted and building of the presbytery designed by R. Coutts and Sons commenced in late 1915. On 30 April 1916, Archbishop James Duhig blessed the exterior and interior of the presbytery. In 1922, the Sisters of Mercy came to Rosewood and the presbytery was taken over as a convent. A new presbytery was built the same year but was destroyed by fire on 20 February 1948. The sisters of Mercy remained in Rosewood until 2011. Four years later the convent was sold and it was relocated to its present site. An initiative of Ipswich City Council, 2017. Marker number 0128.