In 1877 the first Rosewood Show was held at the Rosewood State School. There were no horses and cattle. It was a small display of produce and as the result of a suggestion by a cabinet minister who wanted people to see what could be produced from the scrub lands, and to promote the need for roads in the region.
The success of the first showing prompted the formation of the Rosewood Farmers Club. The Farmers Club also found suitable grounds opposite the current Supa IGA in Rosewood. In 1908 the move occurred to the current site in Railway Street. In 1911 a name change occurred – Rosewood Agricultural and Horticultural Association.
As well as Show activities, the Rosewood Showgrounds has also been home to scouting. The Debating Society, town choirs, dancing classes, cricket, football, gymnastics, martial arts, trotting, poultry, rodeos and other horse related activities. The early history of Rosewood is interwoven with the Rosewood Show Society.
Names such as Vance, Bassett, Freeman, Dale, Embrey, Waight, Kanofski, Franklin, Lenihan, Ham, Evans, Boughen, Brown, Dutney, Wagner, Ogg, Brooks, Claus and Reinke are linked to 140 years of history of the Rosewood Show.
It was a brave step in 2009 for the Show Society to hand over the keys to Ipswich City Council. The 1st stage of the redevelopment cost $3.35M. It was a joint project with the Queensland State Government. This $1.4M ($300,000 from the State) Cultural Centre replaces the original “Slipper Factory” building which was moved to this site in the early 1970’s. Part of the original centrepiece dance floor has been reinstated into the new building.
The new Rosewood Cultural Centre was officially opened on 25th June 2011.