Rosewood Township dates from 1876 and Richard Mason was one of the founding fathers of the townships early community institutions. Richard was one of the first farmers to break the soil and experiment with crops. He helped to fell and remove timber to build John Street.
Richard and Emily died within weeks of each other in 1908 and were buried in the Tallegalla Cemetery. Masons Bridge was a timber structure which originally spanned the gully. Its construction date is unknown but it is thought to be about 1910. Masons Bridge became part of Rosewood’s history and survived until the middle of the sixties when it was damaged by flooding. It was replaced in 1966 with the concrete pipes you see here today. OriginallyErected May 1997 by the Ipswich City Council.
This sign is erected in honour of Richard and Emily Mason and their descendants. Richard and Emily moved to Queensland in the mid 1860’s and were two of Rosewood’s earliest settlers. They erected a small cottage near the future site of the bridge and the present roundabout.
|All roads lead to Rosewood|