|Former Students return for the Reunion|
Tallegalla School opened in June 1879. The first teacher was Irish-trained Edward Dunbar. The majority of the early pupils were German and scarcely knew any English. Local farmers had provided a contribution towards the cost of the school. In 1880, they raised additional money and a school residence was built. John Watkins, Head Teacher from 1889 to 1903, was responsible for planting many of the mature jacaranda, pine and Moreton Bay fig trees in the grounds. In 1932, a new school residence was built. Semi-detached rooms from the old residence were moved to the school grounds and used as the long- awaited playshed. This shed was later used as an activity room and finally as a store room; it still exists on site. A new playshed was built in 1977. Tallegalla School was the centre for community social life including the school picnic and Arbor Day. “Calf days” and other agricultural project days were common in the 1930s. The two acres on which the school stands was not proclaimed a school reserve until August 1938; at this time, it was discovered that the land was still owned by a local far
mer who agreed to surrender it. The school population was supported by local industries including farming, dairying and coal mining. The last mine closed in 1969 and in the 1970s, rising costs and lower prices made farming less attractive. In 1979, it was estimated that there were only 10 farms run as full-time businesses in the Tallegalla district. In the 1990s, the school was considered too small to be viable and it closed.
|Story in Gatton Star|
|Old Sign Uncovered/Found|