$1MILLION TO RECONSTRUCT HAIGSLEA MALABAR ROAD

State Member Wayne Wendt MP Ipswich West, Chair of  City Works ICC Cr Trevor Nardi & Local Division 10 Cr.  David Pahlke
A HAIGSLEA road damaged by floodwaters earlier this year is currently being repaired.  Ipswich City Council Division 10 Councillor David Pahlke said the $1 million project would involve the stabilisation and reconstruction of a section of Haigslea-Malabar Rd, totalling 1900 metres, at Haigslea.
Cr Pahlke said the work was taking place on a section adjoining Mt Marrow Quarry Rd and was scheduled to be completed, weather permitting, in January. He said a contractor was carrying out the works which would result in some minor delays to traffic in the area.  “There will be traffic controllers on-site when the roadworks are occurring to help manage traffic.” Cr Pahlke said the Haigslea project was part of a $52 million citywide roadworks program being undertaken in the wake of last January’s flood event on roads, drainage, roads and bridges.  “Haigslea-Malabar Rd was one of 870 roads affected in Ipswich by the floodwaters or wet conditions.”  Cr Pahlke said funding for the works was being provided by the Queensland Reconstruction Authority (QRA).
He said work was also currently underway on a 940 metre section of Middle Rd at Purga and 250 metres of Midland St at Yamanto.  “Both roads are also being reconstructed – Middle Rd at a cost of $470,000 and Midland St at a cost of $150,000.”  Work on these roads is also scheduled for completion by the end of January.
Federal Member for Blair Shayne Neumann said the Federal Government was committed to rebuilding Queensland, having committed $5.65 billion for disaster relief this year.
“The Federal Labor Government has contributed 75% of funds for the Queensland Reconstruction Authority, with $4 billion in upfront payments to Councils so local communities such as ours can get on with rebuilding,” Mr Neumann said.
“One of our priorities this year has been to rebuild our local communities after the floods; and we will see that through.  “Moving into 2012 the Federal Government is committed to ensuring our local economy, infrastructure and communities are truly restored after January’s natural disaster,” Mr Neumann said.
State Member for Ipswich West Wayne Wendt said that the funding for the Haigslea-Malabar Rd project had been provided under a joint State and Federal Government initiative where the State paid 25% and the Federal Government paid the remaining 75%”. “Although this road doesn’t see a lot of traffic, it is none the less important for our rural communities to ensure that they travel on safe and modern roads,” Mr Wendt said.  Any inquiries about local roadworks projects can be directed to Construction Manager Bill Brew on 0409 132 958.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: